Can we protect our home in a personal injury lawsuit?


My husband was involved in an accident. We are being sued for more than we have on our insurance policy.

Absolutely. The first thing that you should do is make certain that you automobile insurance company has a copy of the complaint and will be filling an answer. After you do that you should speak to a lawyer about doing a declaration of homestead on your home. It is a simple legal document that is prepared and filed at the Registry of Deeds where your deed is recorded. There is a minimal filing fee but the cost is worth it because it protects your home from attaching creditors.

You should also retain legal counsel to file an appearance on the lawsuit in order to make certain that your interests are properly protected. Although the insurance company is obligated to retain counsel for you, your interests are not protected over and above your policy limits.

Greater Boston MetroWest personal injury attorney Stephen Morte represents victims of accidents, negligence and malpractice throughout the Greater Boston, Middlesex County, and Worcester County region including the towns Acton, Ashland, Berlin, Bolton, Boston, Boylston, Cambridge, Clinton, Concord, Framingham, Holliston, Hopkinton, Hudson, Lancaster, Leominster, Lowell, Marlborough, Milford, Natick, Northborough, Shrewsbury, Stow, Southborough, Sudbury, Upton, Westborough, and Worcester, MA.

Greater Boston MetroWest Personal Injury Lawyer
74 Main Street
Marlborough, MA 017520